Community Action Agency Updates


Head Start is available for Jackson and Hillsdale counties. It is a federally funded preschool program, provided at no cost to children from income-eligible families. Head Start programs improve educational outcomes – increasing the probability that participants graduate from high school, attend college, and receive a post-secondary degree, license or certification. 

These early childhood education programs support your child’s school readiness, literacy, social skills, emotional well-being and overall health. Head Start also provides special education programming and provides support for parents and families. Head Start of Jackson and Hillsdale Counties are becoming trauma-informed service providers.

Apply Now


  • Is transportation available?
    Transportation may be available. Please inquire when applying.
  • Are meals provided?
    Yes, meals are provided.
  • How much does it cost?
    The program is free for income-eligible families
  • Do you have Head Start Programs in Jackson, Lenawee and Hillsdale?
    Community Action offers 28 Head Start classrooms within the counties of Jackson and Hillsdale. Lenawee County residents should call Adrian Public Schools at (517) 263-2468 for information about Head Start programs in your county.
  • What age children are eligible?
    Children ages 3 – 5 years old are eligible.
  • Is there an enrollment deadline for next year?
    Enrollment begins in May for the next school year.
  • Is it full day or half day?
    Community Action Head Start is a full-day preschool. Hours depend on the specific classroom site.

Related Links

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) online, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

Fax: (202) 690-7442


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

For the Spanish Language version of the Nondiscrimination Statement, click HERE.